CSA WEEK #6
First! Check out these tiny, tiny mushrooms growing out of one of our tomatoes.
We added a few new items to the CSA box this week and welcomed green beans, cucumbers, and tomatoes (FINALLY!) Cucumbers are thriving in the fields and our CSA members will receiving them for the next few weeks. I’ll add sliced cucumbers to my glass of water throughout the day and particularly enjoy snacking on them with a pinch of sea salt and fresh lime juice. However, if your expecting company, this is the way I want to showcase this seasonal delight.
SESAME-MISO CUCUMBER SALAD
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES COOK TIME: 0 MINUTES SERVES: 4
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 2 1/2 tablespoons white miso
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 scallions, minced, white and light green parts only
- 2 medium sized cucumbers, sliced into 1/4 inch thick pieces (about 4 cups)
- 1 small avocado, sliced into 1/4 inch thick pieces
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- a small dry skillet over medium heat toast the sesame seeds until golden brown. About 2-3 minutes. Shake the pan a few times while toasting.
- In a large bowl combine the toasted sesame seeds, miso, tahini, vinegar, sesame oil, honey, hot water and crushed red pepper flakes. Stir well. Add the cucumbers, avocado and cilantro. Toss well. Serve immediately.
MIXED BEANS + QUINOA SALAD WITH LIME & GINGER VINAIGRETTE
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES COOK TIME: 15 MINUTES SERVES: 4-6
- 1 pound mixed beans (green, wax or purple) trimmed
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts
- 5 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 scallions, minced (white and light green parts only)
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- salt + pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add beans and cook until crisp tender. About 3-4 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice water. Let cool and pat dry.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add scallions and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and soft. About 3 minutes. Add ginger, garlic and coriander and cook until very fragrant. About 1 minute. Remove from heat and season with salt & pepper.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in the same skillet over medium-hight heat. Add peanuts and a healthy pinch of fine sea salt. Cook, tossing often, until golden brown. About 2 minutes. Transfer to paper towels and let cool. Once cool enough to handle coarsely chop.
- In a large bowl whisk together the lime zest, juice, honey, red pepper flakes and remaining 3 Tablespoons of olive oil. Stir in the scallion/ginger mixture, beans, peanuts, cilantro and cooked quinoa. Toss to coat and season with plenty of salt and pepper to taste.
GRILLED CHICKEN & TOMATO KEBABS WITH BASIL VINAIGRETTE
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES (NOT INCLUDING MARINADE TIME) COOK TIME: 10 MINUTES SERVES: 4
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons water
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves
Chicken and Tomato Kebabs
- 1 pounds skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 18-20 cherry tomatoes
- 8-10 wooden skewers (soaked in water for 25 minutes)
- Prepare the vinaigrette by placing all the ingredients into a food processor or blender and blending on high until smooth. If the dressing is too thick add a touch more water to thin as needed. Taste for seasonings and adjust as needed.
- Place the cubed chicken in a large plastic zip-lock bag along with half of the vinaigrette. Shake the bag a bit and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour to marinate (or overnight is even better).
- Heat an outdoor grill to medium high and grease the grates.
- Thread the chicken and cherry tomatoes, alternating between chicken and tomatoes onto the skewers. Grill, for about 3-4 minutes, flip the skewers and grill for an addition 2-3 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the tomatoes are lightly charred.
- Serve with the leftover vinaigrette and enjoy.
ZUCCHINI FRITTERS WITH ROASTED TOMATOES AND CILANTRO-LIME YOGURT SAUCE
PREP TIME: 10 MINS. COOK TIME: 30 MINS. SERVES: 2-4
- 2 zucchini
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2-3 TBS olive oil
- 1 large egg, or two small eggs, lightly beaten
- 3-4 scallions, minced (white and light green parts only)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, tough stems removed and minced
- salt and pepper
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, red, yellow, orange (or whatever colors you have!)
- For the Yogurt sauce
- 1 cup greek style plain yogurt
- 1/4 -1/2 cup cilantro, minced (use more or less cilantro depending on your taste preference.)
- juice from 1 lime
- zest from 1 lime
- pinch of ground cumin (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Toss cherry tomatoes with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on a prepared baking sheet and roast in the oven until tender. About 10-15 minutes (check often!)
- Combine yogurt, cilantro, and lime juice. Mix until well combined. add lime zest and a pinch of ground cumin. Taste test and set aside.
- Using a box grater (or a food process with a grater) grate your zucchini. Place zucchini on paper towels to get rid of any excess water.
- In a large bowl combine zucchini, scallions, cilantro, egg, flour, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Carefully drop about two tablespoons of batter into the pan. Cook for about 3-5 minutes per side. Or until lightly brown and crisp.
- Keep fritters warm in a 200 degree oven until ready to serve. This recipe makes about 6-8 fritters.